Twice the Cowboy / Twice the Ride - James Buchanan BLURB:
Twice the Cowboy: Manuel Santos Fuentes was not the type of cowboy Jess Graff was used to. From the moment they met during the El Paso International Rodeo, Jess wanted the Charro. When Manuel is injured during El Paso de la Muerte, Jess seizes the opportunity to get his vaquero into bed. But cross-cultural misunderstandings and family feuds threaten to destroy their relationship before it really starts. Can two men from wildly different backgrounds overcome hatred and jealousy and learn to trust in each other?

Twice the Ride: Saddle up for the much anticipated sequel to Twice the Cowboy! The story of Jess and Manuel continues. A Rodeo, a wedding and an uncle with attitude... Jess tries to negotiate his way through Manuel's family and feelings. It isn't easy for the cowboy to deal with a culture he doesn't really understand. And it isn't easy to trust, for either of them. Misunderstandings mix with Manuel's machismo and Jess' bravado to tear at the still fragile underpinnings of their relationship. Can their bond survive a weekend with Manuel's family?

Why don't I start out by saying that I truly loved this series? I did. I've been a fan of gay erotica for quite some time now and this two-part series only further confirmed that this is a genre to read.

We meet Manuel Fuentes in Twice the Cowboy. ((Yes, the title is indeed indicative of its storyline--couldn't you tell?)) He's a hot, spicy Mexican cowboy out to win as many rodeos as possible and to conquer the heart of the one man he knows he'll love forever: Jess Graff. Jess, a hard-working man, also is a rodeo cowboy. He's also whitebread America ((my interpretation)). And gay. And so totally in love with Manuel.

We also meet Manuel's uncle, a homophobe and a jerk. Oh, and Manuel's horse, Mango. I love that the horse's name is Mango, it's so adorable. ((The horse, Mango, is important in Twice the Cowboy.))

What I really liked most about this series is the chemistry between Manuel and Jess. They know who they are and they know what they can bring to the table, yet they're shy and sweetly romantic. And they burn up the sheets like no one's business. You can feel the emotions and the conflicts and family loyalties that divide a man from his family and bring the two heroes together. Buchanan did a very good job of making us aware of the cultural divides and the love that Manuel and Jess have and feel for each other. It's almost tangible in its own way. They find their own way to love and a pseudo happiness. I say pseudo happiness only because there are a few somewhat unresolved issues and feelings and that is clearly shown through Buchanan's writing. This is what the sequel, Twice the Ride, ((again, indicative of its title, yes?)) brings to the forefront.

In Twice the Ride, Buchanan brings us back to Manuel, Jess ((well, they're the heroes, duh)) and Manuel's family. We are brought to all the resolutions needed from the prequel and I was not disappointed. I LOVE resolutions. If they can't be had in the original story, then they'd best be clearly resolved in a follow-up. And that's where Buchanan excelled in this, the category of my heart's love and joy, definitive resolutions. ((Most people who know me know I love resolutions, dammit.)) Throw in the rodeo, a wedding and lots of sex and resolution and hope for a happy future, and you get Twice the Ride.

This series is a must-read and is definitely a re-read for me!